Health officials will inspect a central Florida high school after a student died of a bacterial infection that can’t be treated with many common antibiotics. A letter was sent Wednesday to the parents of students attending Liberty High School in Kissimmee. The letter informed them of the loss of 18-year-old Alonzo Smith and included a fact sheet on the staph infection (or MRSA).
The health department will inspect the school for sanitation purposes and note anything that’s unusual. But officials say the source of the infection could have come from anywhere.
The infection is usually treatable. People carry it on their skin or inside their noses. The danger rises when the infection spreads to the bloodstream.